Founded upon what God has revealed in Scripture
What a person believes will dictate their thoughts, their words, their behaviour – their whole life.
God has revealed to us in His Word. the bible, what is true about Himself, about us and about the future. That truth is fundamental to how we live as individual Christians and how we operate as His church.
Provided below are links to the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Church’s (FIEC) website which we recommend you view in regard to our beliefs. Bodmin Community Church is affiliated to the FIEC as a subscribed member as part of the Grace Community Family of churches.
Statement of Faith: http://www.fiec.org.uk/about-us/beliefs
Role of Women in Ministry: http://www.fiec.org.uk/resources/article/women-in-ministry-statement
A Short Summary
This list represents only a basic overview of our beliefs. We strongly urge you to refer to the full version for a more detailed explanation of each point and also our position on Women in Ministry which you can view via the link above.
1. GOD – There is one God, who exists eternally in three distinct but equal persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
2. THE BIBLE – God has revealed himself in the Bible, which consists of the Old and New Testaments alone.
3. THE HUMAN RACE – As a result of the fall of our first parents, every aspect of human nature has been corrupted and all men and women are without spiritual life, guilty sinners and hostile to God. Every person is therefore under the just condemnation of God and needs to be born again, forgiven and reconciled to God in order to know and please him.
4. THE LORD JESUS CHRIST – The Lord Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, and lived a sinless life in obedience to the Father. He taught with authority and all his words are true. On the cross he died in the place of sinners, bearing God’s punishment for their sin, redeeming them by his blood. He rose from the dead and in his resurrection body ascended into heaven where he is exalted as Lord of all.
5. SALVATION – Salvation is entirely a work of God’s grace and cannot be earned or deserved. It has been accomplished by the Lord Jesus Christ and is offered to all in the gospel. God in his love forgives sinners whom he calls, granting them repentance and faith. All who believe in Christ are justified by faith alone, adopted into the family of God and receive eternal life.
6. THE HOLY SPIRIT – The Holy Spirit has been sent from heaven to glorify Christ and to apply his work of salvation.
7. THE CHURCH – The universal Church is the body of which Christ is the head and to which all who are saved belong.
8. BAPTISM AND THE LORD’S SUPPER – Baptism and the Lord’s Supper have been given to the churches by Christ as visible signs of the gospel.
9. THE FUTURE– The Lord Jesus Christ will return in glory. He will raise the dead and judge the world in righteousness. The wicked will be sent to eternal punishment and the righteous will be welcomed into a life of eternal joy in fellowship with God.